Re: tlug: 1run C++,Fortran,Ratfor makes

Thanks  Manuel and Stephen;

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

> ...Many people who want to use GCC
> for some reason on various systems do so, but then let the system's ld
> program link the output of the various compilers into a single
> executable object.

This sounds to be what the client was refering to - linking various object
files into a single executable object module...

linux's linker is 'ld';  am I correct in assuming Sun's is MRI??  'info ld'
makes reference to aiding users in 'the transition to GNU `ld' from the MRI
linker'...

from 'info ld' I get the following info:

>[...]
>BFD
>***
>
>   The linker accesses object and archive files using the BFD libraries.
>These libraries allow the linker to use the same routines to operate on
>object files whatever the object file format.  A different object file
>format can be supported simply by creating a new BFD back end and adding
>it to the library.  To conserve runtime memory, however, the linker and
>associated tools are usually configured to support only a subset of the
>object file formats available.  You can use `objdump -i' (*note
>objdump: (binutils.info)objdump.) to list all the formats available for
>your configuration.

> Obviously, such a linker would not be available on
> Linux.)

??    sorry, its not so obvious....       to me...  *-(    As long as the
various object files produced from the C++, Fortran, etc source files are
defined in the BFD libraries, wouldn't 'ld' - in theory - be able to link
them??  Is something lacking in the 'ld' compared to the SunOS linker?  (Again
I apologize as getting this second hand I don't have the specifics as to the
clients' problems/linux shortcomings)

> `make' is not a problem.  It is a standard component of all
> development environments and has been for years.  I have never heard
> of something that a proprietary make could do that GNU make cannot
> (doesn't mean there aren't such), but the reverse is not true---GNU
> make has several features that some proprietary makes do not, and
> (last I heard) a very few features that are unique to GNU make.  As
> Manu said, it is almost certain that your client can continue to use
> his current Makefiles, perhaps with a few small tweaks.

I assumed that 'gmake' was if anything, a souped up 'make'

> If they're worried about GCC enough that
> they're willing to pay for Sun's compiler, there are plenty of high
> quality proprietary 3rd party solutions _for Linux_ out there.

...money can't buy me love, but a support contract is no problem ;-)

"Manuel M. T. Chakravarty" wrote:

> ... As long as the client does not depend on
> some special features of the Sun compiler (maybe in
> conjunction with the OS), such as, SunOS kernel threads; a
> migration to gcc shouldn't be difficult. [...]  it may be worthwhile even if
> some work is
> involved).

As above, I don't have all the specifics; migration is call, of course...

> The question about the single `make' command puzzles me as
> it does Steve.

after a quick study care of Turnbull, Chakravarty, and O'reilly&Ass., and a
somewhat better understanding of the compile/linking process, I think they
were refering to producing a single object file after 'making' and linking the
various source files...

> There might be one problem though, what kind of Fortran does
> you client need (F77, F90)?

f77 I believe...

> Furthermore, Fortran people often depend on some of the many
> libraries that are available for Fortran.  You should check
> out if your client needs any, and if so, if they are
> available on Linux.  This is much more the direction where I
> see problems...

will do :-)

Thanks again - gives me a better understanding of what the client's looking
for, and were to start...

Regards,

Sean.

Sean Bennett      < sean@example.com >
Nnet/Nakamura Shoji Co. Ltd.
N-Bldg. 2Flr.;  1-12-24 Minami Odouri,
Morioka City, Iwate,
Japan;        020-0874

Tel:    +81 (0)19-629-2250
Fax:    +81 (0)19-629-2234
PHS: 070-6133-1080

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.