tlug: Discovery! Undeleting files with MC

Hi, folks--

Since questions about recovering deleted files have come up from time
to time, I thought I'd share something I found out last night:

If you use Midnight Commander (if you don't, why on earth not?), you
probably know that it supports several types of 'virtual filesystem'
... e.g., you can browse through directories inside an RPM or tar
archive. You may not have known that it also has an 'undelete file
system' ... you can use the menu, or you can enter a command like 'cd
undel:/dev/hda7', and voila!

The help file says something about needing to have the kernel
configured with such-and-such an option in order to be able to use
this ... but I don't *think* I selected whatever that was when I
compiled my kernel, so maybe it's enabled by default. Anyway, I
thought this might be useful to know.

Oh yeah, the undelete feature only works with *unmounted* ext2
partitions.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.