Re: tlug: modem rec please

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Micheal at work wrote:

> My internal modem died, and I want to buy an external modem this time. I
> need to buy it here in Japan, and it must be compatible with Linux, NT, and
> Windows (... and Solaris, if possible, but NT and Windows and Linux are the
> important ones).

If it's an external modem, pretty much anything should work.  My
favorite reasonably priced consumer modems, Microcom, appear to have had
the plug pulled on their production since the Compaq takeover.  Ones I
disklike and recommend against are Zoom and (especially) Boca.  As a
general rule, don't buy the cheapest modem you can get, because that's
exactly what it will be.  v.Everything Couriers are always nice, if
pricy.  The last time I used a Sportster was about 3 years ago and I
didn't like it because it seemed pretty picky about what it would
connect to.  It liked other Sportsters best (of course), and usually
wouldn't connect to off-brand modems like Boca at all (I know this may
not be mostly the Sportster's fault, but at the same time, a really
robust modem would be able to deal with it).  Most people say that
current Sportsters are pretty good.

Zyxel modems also have a good reputation.

A better solution still is to go with ISDN if you do much FTP, etc.
A good extenal TA such as NEC, with a built-in DSU, will run about
24,000 yen or so these days.  The only drawback is that if you want to
do faxing from your computer, then you still need to get some kind of
modem.

I strongly agree with your decision to go with an external modem.  I
would not want an internal in any of my machines again.

Regards,

Jonathan Byrne                                   Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                              http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 03-5334-1700   Fax: +81-03-5334-1701   Direct: +81-03-5334-1756

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.