RE: tlug: Dynamic DNS

Hi,

---Stephen Carter <carter@example.com> wrote:

> I can tell this dynamic DNS is something really
> great, but what exactly is it?

For those people without permanent connections to the net it's
difficult to have a static domain name. Dynamic DNS servers allow you
to obtain a domain name even if you only use a dial-up IP address.

> I checked out the www.nws.net, and that helped some,
> but what's the whole story?

Well, just as an exercise, I applied for the domain name
jpssolutions.nws.net. Then I wrote a short shell script that fires up
Apache and registers my current dial-up IP address with nws.net. As
long as I'm on-line (pretty short since I don't feel like giving NTT
more of my money ;-) you can reach my web server at
http://jpssolutions.nws.net Once I drop the connection the server is
gone only to return at a new IP (with the same domain name) the next
time I run the script. Pretty nifty :)

What use this has, I leave up to you....

> Do I just give the name of my machine as in if my
> machine name is gandalf, then I tell them
> gandalf.nws.net?

All you have to do is run the C program that updates nws.net's routing
table.

> Or do I have to really have a registered domain name > with JPNIC or
some other internet domain authority?

Nope, this appears to be a 0 cost way to get a static domain name with
a dynamic dial-up IP address....

How long it lasts is another question.

HTH

Jim S.

==
Jim Schweizer
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~jims/

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.