Re: tlug: Look, ma, no fonts!

Jonathan Byrne writes:

 > Thanks for the input, Matt.  I was starting to wonder if anybody out
 > there could help me :-)

Don't speak too soon -- I'm not sure I can, either :-)

This will probably take a little digging around in the TeX directories
... I may be able to look at it tomorrow, but at first glance it looks
like a TeX/dvips config problem &/or a missing package. A couple of
things catch my eye.

 > xdvi print-out: dviselect: command not found

Don't know what dviselect is, but I don't have it ... which leads me
to think that either

* xdvi doesn't need it, but is configured to expect it, OR
* some versions of xdvi don't need it, but yours does.

 > /bin/rm: /tmp/DNS-HOWTO.dvi:1@example.com: No such file or directory
 > lpr: /tmp/DNS-HOWTO.dvi:1@example.com is an empty file

Your dvips comes from teTeX, and Xdvi from another distro, right?
Evidently they're using different filename conventions.

 > mf: can't load library 'libXt.so.6'

Hmm ... why is that?

 > mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 600; ignoring mode.

*probably* not important

 > dvips: Font cmr10 not found, characters will be left blank.

Not good. cmr10 is one of the standard TeX fonts ... should be in
every distribution. Unless there's a tex-fonts package you neglected
to install, you absolutely should have it.

 > (or a bad path?)

That would be my guess.

 > Got me.  I don't know anything at all about how fonts work on *nix, but
 > I get the impression that it's a lot uglier than it is on Some Other
 > Operating Systems.

You got that right.

 > Where do I look to get this information?

Ever done a 5000-piece jigsaw puzzle? In the meantime,
http://nwalsh.com/ might be of some use.

One last thing for tonight:

$ which kpsepath

or

$ which kpsetool

or

$ which kpsewhich

Get anything? Good.

Regards,
Matt
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: Feb 13 (Sat), 12:30    ace: Temple Univ.