tlug: fsck error on boot

greetings to all,

i run into a filesystem check error during my rh4.2 system boot.
i can't boot the machine instead the system prompts me in a maintenace
shell.then i did the fs check manually using e2fsck -f -b offset device
since the usual fsck command didn't work.then i reboot the system
again but got the same error(see error message below).

booting from fd was also a failure.during the boot process i run
into a kernel panic error.
(my boot fd was extracted using dd if=/boot/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0 bs=8192)
  VFS:Cannot open root device 08:02
  kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:02

since the error points to the fstab file i checked it and found out
it is corrupted,no swap file and wrong filesystems.i tried to correct
this file but couldn't since i am in a maintenance shell(read-only
filesystem).and one more thing i couldn't boot from my boot disk.

i would appreciate it very much if you could give me suggestions on how
to solve this error.

thanks in advance.

Regan Nayve
regan.nayve@example.com

------
error message:

  checking filesystems
  WARNING:your /etc/fstab does not contain the fsck passno field,
          I will knudge around things for you,but you should fix
          your /etc/fstab file as soon as you can.
  Parallelizing fsck version 1.10 (24-Apr-97)
  checking_all filesystems

  [/sbin/fsck.ext2]fsck.ext2 -a /dev/fd0
  end_request:I/O error,dev 02:00,sector 0
  fsck,ext2:No such device or address while trying to open /dev/fd0
  possible non-existent or swap device?

  ...An error occured during the filesystem check
  ...Dropping you to a shell;the system will reboot
  ...when you leave the shell.
  Give root password for maintenace.
  (or type Control-D for normal start up):

-----
/etc/fstab: (device;mountpoint;filesystem;options;dump;fsckorder)

/dev/sda1         /           ignore 0 0 0
/dev/fd0          /dev/fd0    ext2 defaults 0 0
/dev/sda2         /home       ignore 0 0 0
/dev/sda4         /home1      ignore 0 0 0
/dev/sdb1         /home2      ignore 0 0 0
/dev/sdb2         /home3      ignore 0 0 0
linux:(pid266)    /net        ignore 0 0 0
none              /proc       ignore 0 0 0
/dev/sda3         none        ignore 0 0 0

-----
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD