Re: tlug: Recovery Disk

Rob Bickel <rob@example.com> wrote,

> Hi Ken, あけましておめでとうございます。
>
> On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Ken Harada wrote:
>
> > Hi Rob,  happy 1999.
> >
> > At Mon, 4 Jan 1999 19:13:00 +0900 (JST),
> >      Rob Bickel <rob@example.com> wrote on
> >         tlug: Recovery Disk:-
> > > It seems I can not use FIPS with Windows 98.  I searched various
> >
> > Is it because of FAT32?  How about FIPS15 Version 2.0?  The document
> > says it supports FAT32.  I cannot check by myself as I don't have
> > Windows 98 machine though.
>
> Yes, I did use FIPS 2.0 the latest from the FIPS home page.  I am
> not really sure what went wrong.  It looked like things were going
> smoothly when I went to the final step, it just exited with an error.
> I looked in Deja News and it seems other people have come to the
> same conclusion that FIPS doesn't work with Win98.  I haven't found
> anyone who says it does, so I am assuming it doesn't.
>
> I have heard that Partition Magic 4.0 does work with Win98 though,
> so I may end up just buying that, but then what worries me is that
> when Win98 screws itself up and I have to re-install it and I am
> sure that time will come, I will only have the "Recovery Disk" and
> will have to delete Linux in order to re-install Win98.  That really
> sucks.

I does!  But then, why should M$ be interested to make it
convenient having other OSes installed besides Windoze.  We
have exactly the same problem with my wife's Sony PCG-7xx
(and we really need that Windoze partition for the games ;-)
I was also quite surprised when the problem bit me first (in
my cases it was Win95 and luckily I already had Partition
Magic at hand to resize the Win partition and then *again*
install Linux).

Manuel
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD