tlug: HP 820CSE Windows only printer can be used on Linux!!!

Attached is the readme file for a program called pbm2ppa.

This is the best news I could have gotten!!!

Eric S. Standlee
Kashihara City, Nara Prefecture, Japan
e-w.standlee@example.com
fwiw3980@example.com <default>
RedHat users may find the following tip from Panayotis Vryonis <vrypan@example.com>
helpful!

Here is a tip to intergrate HP720C support in RedHat's printtool:

Install pbm2ppa. Copy pbm2ppa to /usr/bin.
Edit "printerdb" (in my system it is found in
/usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters )
and append the following lines:
----------------------Cut here
StartEntry: DeskJet720C
  GSDriver: pbm
  About: { \
           This driver supports the HP DeskJet 720C inkjet printer. \
           It does does not support color printing. \
           IMPORTANT! Insert \
                "- | pbm2ppa -" \
           in the "Extra GS Otions" field.\
         }
  Resolution: {600} {600} {}
EndEntry

Now you can add an HP720C printer just like any other, using printtool.

[Author's Note: The same should work for the 820 and 1000, but it hasn't
been tested.  Also, use the pbmraw GSDriver if you have it; it's faster. ]
PBM to PPA converter
--------------------

Copyright (c) 1998 Tim Norman.

All trademarks referenced are the property of their respective owners. You
use this software at your own risk.  Although damage to your computer or
printer is unlikely, it is possible, and by using this software you agree
not to hold the authors responsible for any such damage.

License
-------
	This software is being released under the GNU General Public
License.  Please see the file LICENSE for details.  I provide it free to
all who want it.

What is this?
-------------
This software creates output using the PPA (printer performance
architecture) protocol.  This protocol is used by some HP "Windows-only"
printers, including the HP Deskjet 820C series, the HP DeskJet 720 series,
and the HP DeskJet 1000 series.  It has been tested on all three printers,
but your personal experience (positive or negative) is very much appreciated!

Installing
----------
	Read the INSTALL file to compile and install this software.

More Info
---------
	For full information on the PPA protocol and this software,
visit http://www.rpi.edu/~normat/technical/ppa/

Contact Info
------------
	If you find this software useful, PLEASE send me email!!  I want
to know how many people are using this software so I can justify spending
time on bug fixes and improvements :)  My email address is normat@example.com

Bugs / Quirks
	I only support black-and-white printing right now.  Color support
to come when I find the time.  (Contributors welcome!)

        The default offsets and margins may cause a 'blinking lights syndrome'
for some printers (where all three lights blink rapidly).  If this is the
case for your printer, widen the margins dramatically using command-line
parameters and then follow the procedure described in the CALIBRATION file.
Once calibrated, margins of 1/4 inch should succeed.