Re: tlug: XFree86 + X-TrueType: Success!

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

 >     Chris> On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Matt Gushee wrote:
 >     >> In any case, I thought I might want a separate font server,
 >     >> that's why I built all of XFree86 and not just the server.
 >
 >     Chris> Well, uh, you know ... the next time you do that, you might
 >     Chris> want to set BuildServersOnly to 'yes' in host.def -- then
 >     Chris> cd into programs/xfs and 'xmkmf -a; make'.  That will save
 >     Chris> a lot of disk space and time.

 > Joke, joke---but one certainly wants to be careful futzing with X11
 > Imake configuration if you are trying to support Japanese.

Yeah, I knew I didn't have to build the whole schmear. But I wanted a
coherent set of RPM's, rather than fiddling around and trying to
figure out which pieces go with which. I guess I'm not quite ready for
all the dark mysteries of X11.

 > And anybody with a RedHat system should watch out; who knows what evil
 > lurks in the heart of RedHat.cnf.  Only the Shadow.... :-)  (BTW,
 > RedHat.cnf does not exist, AFAIK, but I'm willing to bet that they
 > have made patches to the X11 config without worrying about forward or
 > backward compatibility.

Yeah, they do seem to do some kind of questionable things with X,
don't they? And I don't really know that much about the patches I
built with ... I used a spec file that was posted on comp.os.linux.x
by a clever chap who did sort of the same thing a short time ago
(well, he was from Lucent, so I thought he might have a clue)
... hacked it just a little to add the X-TrueType patches -- which
fortunately didn't conflict with any of the RedHat stuff. So
... geez. For all I know I may have built a terribly faulty X server
that will explode my monitor at midnight, December 31. But it seems
okay so far.

 >    jb> ya got one :-)

 > <AOL REFCOUNT += 1>

Say whuh?

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD