tlug: XFree86 + X-TrueType: Success!

    Matt> Last night I successfully built a set of RedHat-style RPMs
    Matt> of XFree86-3.3.3 with the X-TrueType patch. Works great!
    Matt> Just for the hell of it, I am now typing this e-mail in
    Matt> Bitstream Bernhard Modern Medium 12pt ;-)

Cool.  Now try loading up a heavily font-customized XEmacs/Mule and
... take your s/o out to dinner.  My experience suggests you won't
have time for anything slower than the McDonald's next door, but
scaling multiple TT fonts does take a while.

Seriously, my experience with the Ryobi fonts is about
10-15sec/instance in xfontsel.  My XEmacs usually instantiates about
50 fonts on startup, of which 12 are Japanese.  This takes 2-3
minutes.  Using the xfstt TrueType X font server speeds things up a
bit, and at least the X server continues running, instead of dropping
dead the way it does when scaling fonts itself.

If you do _not_ have this experience, I'd like to know about it,
because it probably means my configuration is messed up....  :-)

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD