tlug: XFree86 + X-TrueType: Success!

Last night I successfully built a set of RedHat-style RPMs of
XFree86-3.3.3 with the X-TrueType patch. Works great! Just for the
hell of it, I am now typing this e-mail in Bitstream Bernhard Modern
Medium 12pt ;-)

Many thanks to Chris and Scott for answering my questions. And if any
Red Hat users out there would like to do this, e-mail me privately and
I'll send you the RPM spec file I used. It's not for the faint of
heart, though -- you need at least 500 MB of disk space, and it takes
a few hours -- for me the actual build time was about 2 hours on a
PentiumII-233 w/ 32MB of RAM, but the download time is also
considerable, and of course I ran into a few glitches along the way.

Also note that X-TrueType is not the only way to get TrueType font
support under X (though it may be the best). And building the packages
yourself isn't even the only way to get X-TrueType  --
TurboLinux has binary RPMs, but I started getting dependency errors
and decided I'd rather build my own RPMs. It was a good learning
experience, if nothing else. Anyway, if anybody else is insane enough
to try this, I'm happy to help out.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD