Re: Winmodems for Linux (Was: Re: tlug: PCI Modems?)

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Fredric Fredricson wrote:

> I have heard some rumor that there are people out there trying to get
> winmodems (or, I guess, a specific winmodem) to work for Linux.

There has been discussion on the linux-kernel list about writing drivers
for these beasts.  Unfortunately, it's impossible to get programming
information out of these corporations.

> On the other hand I have read postings that says it is impossible or
> at least very difficult to get a winmodem to work in a true
> multitasking OS.  Does anybody have any facts? (Maybe it was
> winprinters)

I think you're thinking about winprinters, and you're essentially right
from what I understand.  The following bit is third-hand, as I avoid
win* completely.

Printers need data to hit the print head (or whatever) at the precise
moment that the proper bit of paper is passing by.  Real printers buffer
the whole page and take care of the gory details.

There are winprinters that consist of nothing but an engine, expecting the
host machine to do all of the sequencing.  Imagine what would transpire if
the box were under heavy load.

Some winprinters just speak a proprietary (HP?) protocol, though, and
there has been some success with reverse-engineering there.

-- Chris

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD