Re: tlug: ccp

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't run a libc5-built egcs on a glibc system.  That aside, what
> > about if it's the other way around?  That would definitely break.
>
> I have run such an egcs, but not by choice.
>
> If one can't figure out how forward- and backward-compatibility works, one
> probably shouldn't be doing things this way in the first place.
>
> > Considering that egcs doesn't need a working compiler to build itself
>
> In what universe?  Bullshit.  One cannot conjure from thin air.

... egcs doesn't need egcs or gcc to build itself, is what I meant...

> > ld-linux.so.1 is also included for compatibility on both TL and RH, to the
> > best of my knowledge.
>
> So?  An egcs built on a libc5 box will use ld-linux.so.1 as its ld.so.
> This is bad when the dev environment is glibc2.  A binary linked against
> libc.so.6 and ld-linux.so.1 will segfault.  That is why the spec file
> needs to be changed before one can use a compiler built under such
> circumstances -- not for runtime, but for linking.  You missed the point.

ah, ok.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD