Re: tlug: Re: tlug-digest V1 #1090 - Pine

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998 mike.fabian@example.com wrote:

> I just send the mail as usual while being  offline. Then the mail sits
> in the mailqueue and waits  there. A summary of  your mailqueue can be

> When the ppp connection is established, the script
> /etc/ppp/ip-up.local gets called which contains
>
> /usr/sbin/sendmail -q
>
> which sends all messages which have accumulated in the mailqueue.

This answers a question that I had been wondering also, since I'm about to
start using Linux through a dial-up connection, but I also have another
one: mail clients on other operating systems typically keep mail in their
own outbox and send it through the ISP's SMTP server.  When sending using
a local sendmail, does that cause a return address that doesn't actually
work (since your machine isn't registered on DNS on a dial-up connection)
if the reply-to address isn't set?  If so, what's the best work-around for
this?  Pine does allow using a remote SMTP server, but I don't know if it
will save mail on its own while offline.

Thanks,

Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com>                Engineering Division
http://www.gol.com/                            Global Online Japan
Tel: +81-3-5334-1700  Fax: +81-3-5334-1701     Direct: +81-3-5334-1756

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD