Re: tlug: PC-NFS, samba?

On Sat, Dec 12, 1998 at 11:54:37PM +0100, mike.fabian@example.com wrote:
> is   it possible  to  mount  disks   of  Windows  NT  computers as NFS
> filesystems  or  does one have to   use  samba to   access the Windows
> computers?

There are commercially available NFS packages for Windows machines.

> With the smbclient program of the samba  package I can copy files from
> and to a Windows  NT machine, but that is  by far not as convenient as
> to a nfs mounted directory of another UNIX machine.

Linux also supports a Samba filesystem, smbfs.  It will allow you to mount
shared resources on your Linux box in a way that is similar to what you are
used to with NFS.  I find this interoperability feature crucial to applying
Linux in an office that contains mostly Windows systems.  It is mentioned
in the /Documetation/filesystems/smbfs.txt file of the Linux sources.
.. ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/smbfs/smbfs.tgz (for the utilities,
     although they are probably packaged in your distribution already)
.. http://samba.SerNet.DE/linux-lan/

(The Samba project is planning to provide an equivalent facility in Samba
2.0 that is portable more Unixes beyond Linux. smbfs is not actually part
of the Samba project.)

There is also a user level solution called Sharity (nee Rumba) whose goal is
to provide the same functionality in user-space.
.. http://www.obdev.at/Products/shlight.html
--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   ICQ: 5981586

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD