tlug: sorry to bother you again, partition install

I'd like to give serial connection through W95 a shot. I could make a
partition on the fly with Partition Magic from W95, copy the files over a
direct cable connection, then use the Partition Magic to erase only the W95
partition and create two ext2 partitions: one for swap and one for root.
Then I could either leave the files in that partition in case I have to
reinstall, or I could resize the partition or reformat it as ext2.

According to the Red Hat 5.1 install manual, I would need to copy the Red
Hat/base directory and then make an rpms directory containing the packages I
want to install. The instimage directory looks important, but it is not
mentioned in the manual.

--Would I need to copy the directory instimage, too?--
What about the rescue.img? I know these are simply disk images to create
using rawrite, so that I can use my desktops to make the boot and supp
images, but doesn't the Linux system make a rescue disk that is unique for
that system? Or are all rescue disks the same? My biggest question is,

--where should I go for information about the rpms packages that would be
necessary/ advisable?--

The base directory for Red Hat is 4.75 MB, and the instimage directory is
10.3 MB. That is managable. The rpm directory on the CD is a whopping 238
MB, but I know I don't need all of it. I don't even need x-windows, really.
I don't think I have enough RAM (8 MB) to run it. Besides, I want to install
Linux to learn the line commands and learn how to get around, to learn the
structure of Linux and such. So even including the instimage directory, the
foundation is under 16 MB, so I'm sure that careful package planning would
enable me to install Linux on the laptop and be a happy guy.

Also, how big should my swap partition be?

I have 8 MB of RAM, so according to the book, I need at least 16 MB for
swap, but in actuality, I need much more, don't I? Would 32 be good?

So... 32 MB for swap
        84 MB for root
        84 MB for install partition (to later be added to root)
Does this sound reasonable, or do I need more swap space?

I'm sorry to make this so long. I hope you don't find it an imposition.

Thank you again, Micheal

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691