RE: tlug: install to no-CD notebook

Thank you for the responses. It's stunning, the amount of info/knowledge on
this list. I'm looking forward to getting that well-informed. Mr. Stone even
wrote somewhat of a how-to in itself. However, I'm afraid that that's a
little beyond me at the moment. While I'm more than capable with MS, I
haven't had a chance yet to learn to use Linux. So, perhaps I should put off
this notebook thing for a while, at least until I can get beyond the
useradd, passwd, and shutdown commands in Linux. Red Hat 5.1 is doing fine
on my 200MMX server. I am surprised at how good X looks. Once I get to the
point where I can use Linux, I will use a serial or parallel connection to
install on the 486.

I agree that it is probably more trouble than its worth, and I thank you for
the information. The serial connection load of install files sounds
possible, though, since my 95 system takes up 95 of 200 MB, and since I have
already set up a serial connection under 95 with this machine. I can cut
down the 95 system more, do an on-the-run partition using the rescue disk
from Partition Magic, and then put the  files in the new partition and
install from there. I will look up what is necessary when Slackware arrives,
since someone said that Slackware is the mean and lean, and since it's
coming anyway. I should have bought Debian while I was at it... I mean, at
1.89 a CD, you can't go wrong. Since I already have downloaded docs on Red
Hat 5.1, I will look up the parition install info on them. If I can fit the
files in a partition and still have space to install, I'll be set. And if
all of this doesn't work, I will just reformat, install DOS 6.22, and study
Peter Norton's Complete Guide with it. Either way, I have a study tool.

Thanks again y'all.

PS--it must really, really, really be nice, living within driving range of
Nippon-bashi or Akihabara. An Applied store opened in Miyazaki City (2 hour
drive from here) a month or so ago, so now there is Best Denki and
Applied... for the whole ken. Now, do you think that there is enough
competition to bring prices down? I didn't think so.

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691