tlug: package managers (was Apache + mod_speling)

# let's take this to advocacy

On 10-Dec-98 Scott Stone wrote:
> I think it's a bit unresasonable to expect RPM or any package
> manager to be able to understand and configure any/every
> package's configuration files.  We're not to THAT level of
> automation yet - it still requires some good old-fashioned
> know-how to be a system administrator,

Exactly! I see this kind of thread all over the place lately.
It's seems to be

a. let's make Linux as easy to use as possible so that people
   don't have to understand the tools they're using

or

b. if people don't understand the tool they shouldn't be using
   it.

Let me quote an old Red Hat manual:
     "Installing, uninstalling, and upgrading RPM packages
     are all one line commands, and all the messy details
     are taken care of for you."

Hmmm, all those 'messy details' are what make these packages so
powerful.... and mean that there is still a steep learning curve.

My experience over the last couple of days is that RPM _adds_ to
that learning curve.

Regards,

Jim S.

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691