Re: tlug: install to no-CD notebook

Daniel Saito wrote:
> 2.) His best solution and economical would probably just do the serial
> thing.  Granted that he is in the middle of nowhere. (sorry)  But I am sure
> some Japanese based tech store in town may have cables if not Laplink
> cables.
> The implentation Linux should and have been proven that it is a low budget
> implementation granted that OS itself is free.  I think it is our duty to
> introduce him to the most lowest cost of implementation.

Where's those paper clips?...    Seriously, if you can't find a null
modem
adapter / cable or laplink cable in serial or parallel varietes, you
could
make one.  Where to find the pin out for parallel has been stated, and
if
you can't find one for serial, I have it at home.  (It only needs 3
wires,
so careful placment of the paper clips in the appropriate holes of the
serial port with a gender changer works easy.)

Once you have a 'cable', you can either
copy the files over with another OS,
download a mini-distribution & pppd / PLIP and copy that way,
or try to set it up as you install.

Each has different difficulties & ways to learn patience.
Take your pick.
--
Howard
Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan