RE: tlug: Apache + mod_speling

On 09-Dec-98 Jim Schweizer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm just not getting this upgrade with package managers thing.
>
> Say, for example, that I want to upgrade apache to 1.3 and I
> want to add mod_speling which is not included by default. How do
> I do it? I don't see how rmp -Uvh gives one tuning control.

No, doesn't give you that up front. Debian does, however, with a
simple command-line setup called apacheconfig. It's nice! It lets
you select modules and other variables. RH's later endeavors have
a GUI hack that is supposed to let you edit apache configs, but
in my limited experiences with it, this fell short of being useful.

However, the way to accomplish your goal is in /etc/http/httpd.conf
(I _think_ that is the RH directory name). Just uncomment whatever
modules you want to run and restart httpd.

Another way to do this is via webmin, which gives you access to the
services provided on the machine (http://www.webmin.com). This is,
of course, accomplished via a browser, with all the security issues
that come with the specific browser package. ;-)

--
David Riley
Hachinohe Institute of Technology

http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp
Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691