RE: tlug: install to no-CD notebook

Thank you all for the plentiful advice.

more info:
I am a Linux newbie, but I have set up Red Hat on my desktop many times (I
keep switching around hardware), and I am very familiar with MS OS's.
There is no network adapter. When I bought this laptop (over 5 years ago),
my university was in the process of moving from DOS to the new Windows 3.22
to actually have a network through the administration offices where I worked
after graduating. A network-compatible notebook PC was quite out of reach
for the average person.
The machine has an internal modem as well as a PCMCIA port (actually, "a
68-pin type IC interface which is fully compatible with the PCMCIA
standard"--manual) that I have never used. I assume this would make it
PCMCIA type 1, since no other types were mentioned in the manual (means
there were no other types at the time).
The video is black and white LCD compatible with the IBM VGA standard with a
resolution of 640x480. There are no other choices.

So, looking at the suggestions, it seems that my choices are:
1--serial connection to copy install files into a partition from which I can
install the OS
2--get a minimal floppy install and then use FTP over the built-in modem to
install the rest; if this means hooking up to the internet and downloading
to install, I think it would probably be impossible; all my downloads get
cut off in the middle numerous times (I live in an old apt bldg with old
phone lines next to a huge factory in a decrepit factory town)
3--buy a PCMCIA1-connected CD drive and install it the normal and easy way
4--buy a PCMCIA1 network card and install over a network connection, which
would give me network connectivity in the future

I assume that buying either the CD or the NIC will not be a loss since I can
use it on the next notebook that I buy... someday... when I get a real job
(ie, in IT, not private English teaching).

Would a Linux install recognize a PCMCIA CD, (especially on such an old
machine)?
Would it be possible to use the modem to connect to one of the desktops and
install it that way?

I now I can set up serial connections under w95, but when running w95, I
probably have no space for another partition in which to put the files. It
might be possible, though. So where is the FAQ on doing this? I searched,
but either my building or my provider keeps getting me cut off.

Thank you again.
Micheal Cooper
mecooper@example.com

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691