Re: tlug: Pentium 2 vs old Pentium

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> management and maintenance and whatnot. Surely a pentium 90 is still
> "thinking" faster than the information that's coming in to it via the Net.
> But am i going to feel a difference big enough that would make me consider
> just staying on the PII machine, or is it negligible enough that i will be
> better off with my won hardware?

I ran a Pentium 90 Linux box for a long time, and now it's up to a
whopping Pentium 100 :-)  I find the performance to be acceptable under X,
and if you will not be running X, you will find a Pentium 90 to be
downright fast.  A PII is a lot faster, of course, but a low-end Pentium
should give you satisfactory performance.  You might want to consider
adding some more memory, though.  Mine has 48 meg, and it does help.
Memory is cheap, so pick up another 32 meg for it and you'll be in great
shape.

Jonathan Byrne -- Engineering Division <jq@example.com>
Global Online Japan <http://www.gol.com/>
Tel: +81-3-5334-1700  Fax: +81-3-5334-1701  Direct: +81-3-5334-1756

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691