Re: tlug: install to no-CD notebook

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Howard Abbey wrote:

> > On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Micheal Cooper wrote:
> > > So the gist of it is... how would I create a floppy set for Linux from a CD?
>
> Scott Stone wrote:
> > AFAIK Slackware is the only one that can still be installed entirely from
> > floppies and with 4MB of RAM.  TL and RH can be installed on an 8MB
> > machine, but you will need to install from CD or via NFS or SMB
>
> Is it possible to set up a ppp network connection in one of the virtual
> terminals
> while installing?  (Note: I didn't ask if it was easy.  I imagine that
> it would
> involve making a special ramdisk with the pppd binary, etc.)  This is
> something
> I might want to do in the future if I have to do the same thing multiple
> times,
> and am curious if there is something other than the lack of the pppd
> program
> that would stop it from working.

yes, it's theoretically possible, but I've never done it.

> What I'd probably recommend, if you don't want to mess with floppies, is
> make a small / medium sized partition to hold the minimal install files,
> copy
> them over a serial link, install, and then reformat that partition and
> move
> /home or /var to it.  This is the method I used when first installing my
> first
> Slackware on my sole 80 meg disk ages ago.

you can 'install from HD partition' with TL and I think with RH as well...
install from an ext2, vfat, or vfat32 partition.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691