Re: tlug: install to no-CD notebook

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Micheal Cooper wrote:

> first a note: tlug is great, and I give my support, if only from afar (since
> I am far away in Miyazaki)
>
> next, question:
> I came to Japan almost 5 years ago carrying a Winbook laptop (486sx 25MHZ 8
> MB RAM 200 MB HDD with 28.8 modem) running Win3.1. About six months ago, I
> borrowed a friend's floppies and installed a minimal W95 on it (I do own
> 95E, 95J, 98J, MSDOS, Win3.1E, as well as NT Server and Workstation E, so I
> figured I am entitled to use someone else's floppies). It's okay for the
> time being. I have a two-PC network at home (both home-made), and I run
> multi-boot systems on both for study purposes: Linux (can't really use it
> yet), NTServer, W98J on server and W98J, NTWorkstation, and DOS (can't
> really use that yet, either) on client. I only use the notebook's Wordpad
> for my conversation classes, but my Linux-wise friend told me that such a
> laptop would be perfect for Linux study. Also, it would allow me to carry
> Linux around with me so that I could study at my in-laws house over the
> holidays and after preparing my lessons at work, so on and so on.
>
> So the gist of it is... how would I create a floppy set for Linux from a CD?
> I recently ordered Red Hat 5.2, Slackware 3.6, and the one-CD version of
> Turbo Linux from Linux Mall. I also have a CD (from a Sobell book) for Open
> Linux lite and a set of CD's for RH5.1 from Linux Japan magazine. From what
> I have read, the leanest and lightest distribution is Slackware. Their

AFAIK Slackware is the only one that can still be installed entirely from
floppies and with 4MB of RAM.  TL and RH can be installed on an 8MB
machine, but you will need to install from CD or via NFS or SMB (if you
have the notebook on a LAN, you can pop the TL CD into the NT/95/98 server
and do an SMB install over the network).

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691