tlug: install to no-CD notebook

first a note: tlug is great, and I give my support, if only from afar (since
I am far away in Miyazaki)

next, question:
I came to Japan almost 5 years ago carrying a Winbook laptop (486sx 25MHZ 8
MB RAM 200 MB HDD with 28.8 modem) running Win3.1. About six months ago, I
borrowed a friend's floppies and installed a minimal W95 on it (I do own
95E, 95J, 98J, MSDOS, Win3.1E, as well as NT Server and Workstation E, so I
figured I am entitled to use someone else's floppies). It's okay for the
time being. I have a two-PC network at home (both home-made), and I run
multi-boot systems on both for study purposes: Linux (can't really use it
yet), NTServer, W98J on server and W98J, NTWorkstation, and DOS (can't
really use that yet, either) on client. I only use the notebook's Wordpad
for my conversation classes, but my Linux-wise friend told me that such a
laptop would be perfect for Linux study. Also, it would allow me to carry
Linux around with me so that I could study at my in-laws house over the
holidays and after preparing my lessons at work, so on and so on.

So the gist of it is... how would I create a floppy set for Linux from a CD?
I recently ordered Red Hat 5.2, Slackware 3.6, and the one-CD version of
Turbo Linux from Linux Mall. I also have a CD (from a Sobell book) for Open
Linux lite and a set of CD's for RH5.1 from Linux Japan magazine. From what
I have read, the leanest and lightest distribution is Slackware. Their
system requirements even list 8 MB of RAM as enough. If Linux is impossible,
I will make the machine into a DOS notebook for studying DOS 6.22 and taking
notes in Intermediate Conversation classes.

Please point me to the right references. Thank you.

Micheal in Miyazaki

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691