RE: tlug: RH5.1, XF86, & Resources

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998 riley@example.com wrote:

> On 05-Dec-98 JS Bennett wrote:
>
> > Its happened on a few occasions, today being one of them, where my
> > system just bogged down and locked up.  The cpu useage would
> > suddenly begin to climb for no apparent reason (no new
> > applications being started up, for instance).  Today's instance
> > involved 4 or 5 Netscape 4.5 windows being open (one off of the
> > localhost displaying a postgre/php database), along with NS mail.
> > While surfing, the cpu began to bog down, the resource indicator
> > glowing red, though there was no disk usage. Even after an hour of
> > inactivity during lunch, the resource indicator was still max'ed
> > on my return.
>
> We looked at this a couple of months back. Sounds like you are
> running the glibc version of NS. It will keep taking memory for
> some time, though I never ran it as much as you have. If you go
> to a page that runs Java, it will start really hogging resources.
> Try disabling Java at the least. Or you could put in the libc5
> version (incidentally, the libc5 version is the one that is listed
> as "supported", not the glibc flavor).

however, the libc5 version is not thread-safe, so most Java pages crash it
anyway.  I had to make the call of glibc vs libc5 netscape for TL 3... I
picked libc5 because of the memory leakage, but Java pages can crash the
libc5 one pretty easily, at least on my machines.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691