Re: tlug: Can't locate module sound

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Neil Booth wrote:

> I've been experimenting building modularized kernels. It works
> beautifully, except for sound. I'm pulling my hair out trying to work
> out why.
>
> The sound module is /lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/sound.o . In the same
> directory there is also the psaux.o mouse driver module, and others. All
> modules, such as the psaux, load fine automatically.
>
> But doing a "/sbin/modprobe sound" produces the "can't locate sound
> module" message.

'sound' doesn't really load directly, at least not in my experience.
First of all, you need a patch for modular sound in 2.0.x kernels (it's in
the TL 2.0.36 .src.rpm if you want it).  Secondly you need to put a line
in /etc/conf.modules like:

alias sound sb
options -k sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1,5
alias midi opl3
options -k opl3 io=0x388

You can also use the OSS/Free stuff but that works completely differently
and is a whole other can of worms :)

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691