tlug: Afraid to boot

Neil Booth writes:
 > I have never seen that Warning before, and it slightly scares me. Is it
 > merely bacuse there is an IDE drive there now, LILO is detecting it, and
 > which might be the "first disk"? Or is it more sinister, and will it
 > fail to boot?
 >
 > I daren't try just yet. Any advice welcome.

It seems that when IDE disk is added, lilo seems to think scsi drive
is not bootable. It stops writing boot block unless it is ide. So I
recommend making boot floppy that know which is  root partition.
then change boot attribute to /dev/hda in lilo.conf and do lilo
command like:

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/sda1

to be bootable from hard disk.

There are bios setting to set boot sequence to set scsi first and
disable ide for some computers.
So probably you can also disable ide first and reboot and run lilo and
enable ide again to run lilo sucessfully. But, it is cumbersome. It is
much easier to just set ide  bootable. Especially when you want
to use ide for other os.

Regards,
Kei.

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691