RE: tlug: RH5.1, XF86, & Resources

On 05-Dec-98 JS Bennett wrote:

> Its happened on a few occasions, today being one of them, where my
> system just bogged down and locked up.  The cpu useage would
> suddenly begin to climb for no apparent reason (no new
> applications being started up, for instance).  Today's instance
> involved 4 or 5 Netscape 4.5 windows being open (one off of the
> localhost displaying a postgre/php database), along with NS mail.
> While surfing, the cpu began to bog down, the resource indicator
> glowing red, though there was no disk usage. Even after an hour of
> inactivity during lunch, the resource indicator was still max'ed
> on my return.

We looked at this a couple of months back. Sounds like you are
running the glibc version of NS. It will keep taking memory for
some time, though I never ran it as much as you have. If you go
to a page that runs Java, it will start really hogging resources.
Try disabling Java at the least. Or you could put in the libc5
version (incidentally, the libc5 version is the one that is listed
as "supported", not the glibc flavor).

BTW, all NS versions except 4.08 are known now to have security
leaks that allow outsiders to read your files. Leaving NS running
for so long would then seem to be quite a hazard, though probably
less so here in Japan....

--
David Riley
Hachinohe Institute of Technology

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691