tlug: RH5.1, XF86, & Resources

Hi all;

I've been running RH5.1 on a Pentium100/32meg system now for a
month or two;  I just had a few questions about normal/abnormal
resource usage, and what kind of performance I should expect from
such a system.

Its happened on a few occasions, today being one of them, where my
system just bogged down and locked up.  The cpu useage would
suddenly begin to climb for no apparent reason (no new
applications being started up, for instance).  Today's instance
involved 4 or 5 Netscape 4.5 windows being open (one off of the
localhost displaying a postgre/php database), along with NS mail.
While surfing, the cpu began to bog down, the resource indicator
glowing red, though there was no disk usage. Even after an hour of
inactivity during lunch, the resource indicator was still max'ed
on my return.

A 'ps aux' showed Netscape hogging about 58% of the cpu time, with
Xwrapper using about 18%  (about the same as now , after I was
forced to reboot via the on/off switch - the system eventually
locked up). There were a few process in the 1-2% range, everything
else 0%.

Disk space:
[root@example.com X11]# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used  Avail  Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda7              97M   61M    31M     66%   /
/dev/hda1             5.7M  586K   4.8M     11%   /boot
/dev/hda5             741M  522M   181M     74%   /usr

Even on a good day, my P133 Win95 is much snappier.  There is
often/usually a 2-3 second lag on mouse clicks, window changes,
etc with the Linux system. If I open up Star Office with Netscape
running - forget it;  might as well go back to my 386 with 2 meg.
Is this typical performance for a P100/32mg system? Is there
anywhere else I should look for resource hogs??

In search of enlightenment ( and resources ).

Sean.

J. Sean Bennett
Nnet / Nakamura Shoji Co. Ltd.
N-Bldg. 2Flr, 1-12-24 Minami Odouri
Morioka, Iwate;    Japan         020-0874

Tel:    +81 (0)19-629-2250
Fax:    +81 (0)19-629-2234
PHS:    060-133-1080
Home T/F:    +81 (0)19-645-2376
Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691