Re: tlug: shielding from high EM interference

Scott Stone <sstone@example.com>  wrote

>one of the support pillars in our office here (structural support) has the
>main power conduit for the building running through it.  Not usually a
>problem, but any monitor placed anywhere near it will flicker and 'waver'
>very badly from the EM interference, or so it seems.  Is there any kind of
>material we can buy to shield against this?

The kind of EM interference will probably be low frequency magnetic fields
from the current in the main power conduit. Unfortunately this kind of
interference is the hardest to shield - mainly relying on thick layers of
special steels - not really practical.   However as you probably already
know magnetic interference is very localized and can be best be avoided by
keeping anything sensitive a few feet away.

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 *** place TBA ***
IMPORTANT: TLUG is looking for a venue for the next meeting
if you could host in your university or office, please contact us
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691