Re: tlug: Kernel hackers?

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Andrew S. Howell wrote:

>     Scott> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Christopher Sekiya wrote:
>
>     Scott> ... or like Tekram occupies in Japan.  Tekram doesn't just
>     Scott> make crappy cards, they make SPECTACULARLY crappy cards.
>     Scott> Their quality control level is, IMHO, lower than
>     Scott> Microsoft's.  They support Linux, but I almost wish they
>     Scott> didn't, because they do incorrect things - ie, most of
>     Scott> their controllers are based on ncr53c8xxx type controller
>     Scott> chips.  However, their bios is not 100% compatible with the
>     Scott> standard 53c8xx driver.  So, instead of sending a patch to
>     Scott> the driver maintainers, they write a *separate* driver.
>     Scott> Unfortunately this other driver will also try and work with
>     Scott> other 53c8xx controllers, which is very, VERY bad.
>
> I have been using tekram for quite some time, but I did have to get
> their driver to make it work, and patch the kernel by hand, as their
> patch did not work. :(
>
> I have not had any problems with it, but it has always left me a bit
> nervous. The only other thing that was available in Japan at the time
> was Adaptec. Having seen lots problems reported with them, I shied
> away.
>
> Does anyone sell wide scsi other vendor's cards that work well under
> Linux in Tokyo?

Now that BusLogic/Mylex has all but pulled out of Japan, no.  But the
Adaptec stuff all works now, at least with TL's kernels (all 2.0.36 should
work, but anything older I wouldn't use anything but the ones I've made,
since I don't know if other vendors were applying the aic7xxx patches to
the kernel source - we did that for our pre-2.0.36 kernels, though).

There's also another Tekram card, their 'base model', which uses an AMD
SCSI chip - this one's even worse.  Last time I tried it, I'd get a kernel
panic if more than one SCSI device was attached...

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 *** place TBA ***
IMPORTANT: TLUG is looking for a venue for the next meeting
if you could host in your university or office, please contact us
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691