Re: tlug: Kernel hackers?

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> which revisions are susceptible to this?  I have six 4GB/9GB drives on
> Gandalf, which has a 1.21 bios revision AHA-2940UW card, and has been
> running with that configuration for close to two years.

I think anything with a BIOS rev later than 1.1 is probably okay.  The
problem isn't in the BIOS, of course.

> instead of sending a patch to the driver maintainers, they write a
> *separate* driver.  Unfortunately this other driver will also try and
> work with other 53c8xx controllers, which is very, VERY bad.

*laugh* Lemme guess ... this driver was developed in Japan?

> What do you have against Flashpoints, Chris?

Flashpoints are sort of lobotomized.  It's really just a sequencer with
the bare minimum support hardware -- sort of like a winmodem.  I still
prefer a Flashpoint to an aic (hell, I own a Flashpoint) but better cards
exist.

-- Chris

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 *** place TBA ***
IMPORTANT: TLUG is looking for a venue for the next meeting
if you could host in your university or office, please contact us
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691