Re: tlug: Kernel hackers?

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Christopher Sekiya wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Neil Booth wrote:
>
> > What don't you like about it? (Serious question). I've only been on the
> > list 3 months, so I guess I've missed a lot of the history.
>
> Apart from being poorly documented, the aic7xxx series were physically
> dodgy.  The first several revisions couldn't drive more than four devices
> because some engineer couldn't figure out Ohm's Law, for instance.

which revisions are susceptible to this?  I have six 4GB/9GB drives on
Gandalf, which has a 1.21 bios revision AHA-2940UW card, and has been
running with that configuration for close to two years.

> I personally feel that they're popular only because Adaptec occupies a
> position in the SCSI business roughly equivalent to that Cisco enjoys in
> the network world.  I recommend Buslogic/Mylex cards (but _not_ FlashPoint
> series).

... or like Tekram occupies in Japan.  Tekram doesn't just make crappy
cards, they make SPECTACULARLY crappy cards.  Their quality control level
is, IMHO, lower than Microsoft's.  They support Linux, but I almost wish
they didn't, because they do incorrect things - ie, most of their
controllers are based on ncr53c8xxx type controller chips.  However, their
bios is not 100% compatible with the standard 53c8xx driver.  So, instead
of sending a patch to the driver maintainers, they write a *separate*
driver.  Unfortunately this other driver will also try and work with other
53c8xx controllers, which is very, VERY bad.

Incidentally, my other server has a BT-930 Flashpoint card in it (my other
USA server), and it's been rock-solid reliable for the whole time we've
had it.  What do you have against Flashpoints, Chris?

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 *** place TBA ***
IMPORTANT: TLUG is looking for a venue for the next meeting
if you could host in your university or office, please contact us
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691