Re: tlug: Kernel hackers?

    Hiroshi> I am interesting in kernel hacking. but I have no much
    Hiroshi> time and skills.

Don't let that stop you!  ;-)

    Hiroshi> In message "tlug: Kernel hackers?"
    Hiroshi>     on 98/11/30, Neil Booth <NeilB@example.com> writes:
    >> Does anyone out there do any kernel hacking, or take an
    >> interest in its development?
    >>
    >> I'm just slightly surprised that I've never seen much / any
    >> discussion about it here.

Well, that's because people who hack core functions like memory
management and scheduling are relatively rare.  But several recent
topics are more or less in this vein, or could develop that way:

1.  CODA.  File systems require kernel support, usually as modules.
2.  SMP.  Scott was having problems with SMP (more specifically,
    kernel v2.0.36) and PCMCIA.  Both are kernel issues in some sense.
3.  Device drivers (a perennial).  Chris Sekiya is the resident expert
    on the AIC7xxx (more precisely, on why you should avoid it :-)

There are a few hardware people on the list, too.  But the thing is,
the closer you get to the hardware, the more specialized you have to
get.  So a general list like TLUG is not likely to get a lot of meaty
kernel hacking traffic.

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 *** place TBA ***
IMPORTANT: TLUG is looking for a venue for the next meeting
if you could host in your university or office, please contact us
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691