Re: tlug: Apache restart

I wrote:

>Here's some bizaarity:
>steve@example.com:~ host www.tokyostreethockey.com
>www.tokyostreethockey.com A record not found, server failure

Looks like my local server timed out waiting for the answer ...

>steve@example.com:~$ host -t any www.tokyostreethockey.com
>www.tokyostreethockey.com       A       202.238.0.248

but the answer came in shortly, and it returned what was in the cache.

>steve@example.com:~$ host www.tokyostreethockey.com
>www.tokyostreethockey.com       A       202.238.0.248
>Looks like your server is subject to intermittent failures of some
>kind.

still in the cache.

I tried what you typed, and got different responses:

	$ host -t ns tokyostreethockey.com
	tokyostreethockey.com name server ns1.rainbow.co.jp

OK, this is what I got.  We evidently have different versions of host
(not surprising; there are three main commands, `host', `dig', and
`nameserver' and on many systems one or more is emulated by scripts
wrapped around one of the others).

	$ host -t any tokyostreethockey.com
	tokyostreethockey.com start of authority        www.tokyostreethockey.com
postma
	ster.rainbow.co.jp(
                        98081201        ;serial (version)
                        10800   ;refresh period
                        1800    ;retry refresh this often
                        4320000 ;expiration period
                        86400   ;minimum TTL
                        )
	tokyostreethockey.com has address 202.238.0.248
	tokyostreethockey.com name server ns1.rainbow.co.jp
	$ host tokyostreethockey.com
	tokyostreethockey.com has address 202.238.0.248
	$ host -t tokyostreethockey.com
	Invalid query type: tokyostreethockey.com

This is a typo; the -t flag requires an argument, one of A, NS, CNAME,
any, SOA, etc (types of DNS record).  You need to delete the -t as
well as its argument.  I actually made this typo, too, but I didn't
include it in my post :-)

    Dave> Is this something to worry about?

No.  The weirdness I got above could be (now that I think of it) a too
short timeout somewhere on my end.

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691