Re: tlug: Installing Linux over a network

Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> Of course, i do have a floppy and a keyboard which i could slot in there
> just for the purposes of getting it up and running, if it was necessary. I
> was just shooting for a sort of elegance of installation: setting it up
> from the start with what it was going to have while acting as a server,
> instead of pulling wires in and out and whatnot.

Yep.  I figured you were going more for creativity than ease of
installation.

> I'm a little skeptical about the video card, though.

Oops.  Yeah, that's one requirement I forgot about.  I don't think
any PC will boot without one of those.  I misinterpreted your first
mention of this to imply that the machine was already running some OS.

> But i see all these computers kicking around as servers without monitors
> attached to them. What's the deal?

You don't need the monitor to boot, just the video card, and old video
cards are very cheap.
--
Howard
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691