Re: tlug: Firewall machine - how fast for ethernet speeds

    Dave> At 12:31 ίγ 98/11/25 +0900, you wrote:
    >>  I just signed up for a cable modem service.
    >>
    >> http://www.catv.ne.jp/internet/internet.htm

    Dave> I'm very interested in getting a similar service. I checked
    Dave> the site, but the kanji is a little beyond me. Can you give
    Dave> a brief rundown of why it is you chose these guys over
    Dave> anyone else?

They were they only ones I could find in my area. I asked here last
week if anyone knew of any others, but I didn't get any replies.

    Dave>   The only other provider i know of is Titus, but they're
    Dave> only offering their internet services in Chiba so far, with
    Dave> no specific date as to when they might begin service in
    Dave> central Tokyo. Anyways, they are offering cable access for
    Dave> 6,000Y a month, with a 20,000 start up fee which includes
    Dave> the cable modem (am i correct that this thing is called a
    Dave> router?).

This is 5,200 a month, 20,000 signup, plus installation, 21,000. Not
cheap at the outset, but then my ISDN bill is around 20,000 a month,
so it should not take too long to break even. I still need the ISDN
for work, so that bill won't go to zero...

    Dave>  Also, a guy at the NT users group was saying that a lot of
    Dave> the cable ISPs in Tokyo were only useful so long as you
    Dave> accessed sites within a certain area accessable directly by
    Dave> the ISP. If you tried, for instance, to FTP to a remote site
    Dave> in North America, your kbps dropped to a few kilobytes per
    Dave> second.

With a connection to IIJ, I would think that they would be OK. I'll
find out!

Andy
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691