Re: tlug: Firewall machine - how fast for ethernet speeds

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Rex Walters wrote:

> > Also, a guy at the NT users group was saying that a lot of the cable ISPs
> > in Tokyo were only useful so long as you accessed sites within a certain
> > area accessable directly by the ISP. If you tried, for instance, to FTP to
> > a remote site in North America, your kbps dropped to a few kilobytes per
> > second.
>
> This is true of the internet in general.  Hop counts and latency matter.
>
> Fortunately, IIJ is still the largest ftp archive in Japan (to the best
> of my knowledge).  I would *KILL* to have 6 Mbps to IIJ.

the kdd server is pretty big too, esp for Linux stuff.  And my colocated
server here (ftp.pht.co.jp) is on the same backbone, I get 10MBit/sec
between it and kddlabs' ftp site.. :)

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691