Re: tlug: Firewall machine - how fast for ethernet speeds

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Andrew S. Howell wrote:

> I just signed up for a cable modem service.
>
> 	http://www.catv.ne.jp/internet/internet.htm
>
> They are saying that cable side runs at 14Mbps, while their
> connection to the internet through IIJ is 6Mbps. My side of the modem
> is 10BaseT. I don't every expect to see the 6Mbps to the internet, but
> using that as a max, any ideas how fast a machine I would need for a
> dedicated firewall? I have a spare 386 33Mhz, and I think I can find
> get my hands on 486 66Mhz box. Would either of these be fast enough?

yeah, routing isn't very cpu intensive.  I'd say either one would do it.
You could even do it with no hard disk, too.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691