Re: tlug: Floppy mounts

Howard Abbey <habbey@example.com> writes:

> ... probably the best
> solution (as I was convinced by another TLUGer on this list
> a while ago) is to use an automount daemon (like autofs) to
> automatically detect the disk type.

[sniplet]

> I'm curious how well it'll work.  If you run any tests, let us know.

I tried configuring and setting up the automounter that shipped
with TL.  The initialization script runs and says "Starting
automounter: " but reports no process name after the colon.  A
check of the process table shows that indeed it has not started.
Unwinding the script, I find that the binary is "automount", so I
read the man page on that, double-check the config files for
validity, and run it.  It runs without complaint, but it still
does not turn up in the process table.  Automounting doesn't
happen when I do "ls -l /automount/floppy/*".

I've fetched the source RPM from the RedHat-5.2 distribution,
compiled the utilities from scratch, and reread the man pages in
case anything changed in between TL 2.0 and RH 5.2's versions of
the source.  Unfortunately, it rewards these efforts with exactly
the same behaviour.

I've tried numerous little changes to the configuration files,
most of which appear to be squarely within the specification
given in the docs.  I find myself whether this program actually
does anything, or is perhaps just sitting there as a little joke
to help cheer us up when we have too little to do...?

Seriously, though, what am I missing?  Here are the config files
as I've most recently tried them.  Anything in there that would
cause the daemon to exit immediately without error?

# File: /etc/auto.master
# Format of this file:
# mountpoint map options
# For details of the format look at autofs(8).
#/misc	/etc/auto.misc	--timeout 60
/automount /etc/auto.floppy

# File: /etc/auto.floppy
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage
floppy		 	:/dev/fd0

Cheers,
--
-x80