Re: tlug: Floppy mounts

Frank Bennett wrote:
> For these student terminals, I want kids to be able to plug DOS
> or VFAT floppy disks into them with abandon, and have the OS take
> care of mounting and unmounting them.

Well, it's not been utterly solved, but probably the best
solution (as I was convinced by another TLUGer on this list
a while ago) is to use an automount daemon (like autofs) to
automatically detect the disk type.  With a really short
expiration time (perhaps the minimum), it might work without
too much problems.  I am not sure if anything will gracefully handle
popping out a drive while it is still mounted.  You might need
to make an unmount icon or something on the screen for students
to push before ejecting the floppy.

I'm curious how well it'll work.  If you run any tests, let us know.
--
Howard
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691