Re: tlug: Re: 3 questions

This was not intended t go on the list, but I would like to say some things
nevertheless, since it might be that Joes opinion is shared by some more
people.

I agree with Jonathan:

> > I suppose if you snip out all of the preceeding technical stuff and
> > leave only the last part, it could look that way.  If you don't do that,
> > it's clearly a technical post addressing questions on how a bar
> > code-based tracking system works, getting software for such a system,
> > and whether or not it could be simultaneously mirrored.  That is clearly
> > not advocacy.

Joe replied:

> This thread (and the cross-postings thread in tlug-admin before it)
> degenerated from a technical discussion to very much an advocacy
> discussion.  You may have started out with something related to linux, but
> it digressed to the point that it was no longer appropriate for the tlug
> main list.   If you go over your posts, and Uli's subsequent posts, you
> will see what I am referring to.

My posts started with one of the issues that split the list: newby help and to
make it as little a nuisance as possible. I developped some ideas regarding
this topic that have technical implications. In spite of so many engineers
telling me that my plans are too big, I have the impression that they are so
simple. And I want to find out what the limitations or the practical
applications of this system is. I am psychologist, and I find many quite
astonishing parallels between computers and humans, except that the interface
is too abstract for human too process, and human information processing is my
research topics. Intelligence is to solve problems as efficiently as possible,
that is my personal definition. We have all the ressources to organize this
quite easily via the internet. I had some suggestions and wanted technical
advice, which sofar I only got from Jonathan. Everyone a little bit more
fluent in Perl than me could set up my suggested system in a few minutes. I
cannot. Perhaps there even exists a search engine like the one I am looking
for on the net and I just cannot find it. My friends description of "ask
jeevas" or "askjeevas" or "ask.jeevas" or however it is spelled sounded quite
close to my interests. I could connect my system to existing search engines,
if there were a proper. But I am unable to find what I am looking for on the
web in terms of search engines and help-sites for hurricane victims. Lack of
knowledge on my part, perhaps, but I don't know better, and then there are
probably more dumb people around like me I guess. And to take off the effort
of you gurus for newby help I am trying to use what I know, which is from a
different but astonishingly related field, educational psychology, or human
information processing, to be more precise. Now do you really want me to
develop the perfect natural language processing system in a few hours in order
to learn programming in 50 languages in a few seconds? I am trying my best.
Shame on you lazy gurus in front of your screens. That is a part of human
information processing I am only grasping slowly, but thanks for the data, I
will be able to use them. It must be the way I express myself, since about
nobody seems to understand me, well, except Jonathan.

Bye, Uli