Re: tlug: caching proxy

    Scott> On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Andrew S. Howell wrote:
    >>  Hello,
    >>
    >> I'm looking for way ways to save bandwidth to our head office
    >> in the US. I know there are such things a caching proxy
    >> servers, (squid??), but have never used one. What I want is
    >> something like:

    Scott> yeah, squid can do this.  I think that apache 1.3.3 can do
    Scott> this on its own as well, but I'm not sure.  You can also
    Scott> hook up squid with other caching proxy servers, provided
    Scott> that you have permission from the sysadmins.

Squid definitely does the trick. I pointed it at our proxy in the US,
which I think is of the netscape variety. Running it on my laptop, a
puny P-133, and running Netscape on a couple other machines, it just
hum along. What a great piece of software.

I didn't require any special permissions from our US proxy server. I
think that only applies if you take advantage of the hierarchal
caching.

    Frank> I've not done an install of Squid, but our Web clients here
    Frank> all reference a monster Squid in the engineering department
    Frank> to speed up the access of commonly used international
    Frank> documents.

Frank, can you define "monster". I'm trying to get an idea of
sizing. The Squid faq had some stuff on it, but they all seemed
huge. We have a 64k link to the US, with about 30 users on this side
of that long thin straw. I would guess that a couple hundred meg of
disk should be more than adequate.

    Frank> You probably want the proxy server and the Web server to
    Frank> be separate processes, even if Apache is capable of
    Frank> providing the service -- just to keep things easier to
    Frank> manage.

Yes, thats what I plan to do. Friday one of our staff relocated to the
US, leaving a PC without a user. It has NT on it, but is a easy
problem to fix! :)

    Frank> Once upon a time, I used a proxy cache from the Harvest
    Frank> distribution with a little Web server called "wn", on a
    Frank> low-spec machine back in London.  We set the proxy cache
    Frank> server to sit on port 80, and told it that the local Web
    Frank> server was on port 8080.  The Web server was then set to
    Frank> provide services to port 8080.  Worked like a charm.

Well, I'll just ask users to point at squid instead of the proxy in the
US. Next thing to play with is getting the automatic proxy settings to
work.

    Frank> Hope it goes smoothly for you.

So far, it been quite straight forward.

Thanks,