tlug: Floppy mounts

This question probably belongs in a collection entitled "My Life
in Linux: over the hill after a week's vacation".

For these student terminals, I want kids to be able to plug DOS
or VFAT floppy disks into them with abandon, and have the OS take
care of mounting and unmounting them.  I can accept data loss if
the disk is punched out when the orange light is on, but the best
case would be for the driver to warn under this condition, and
give the user the option of either replacing the disk and
continuing the read or the write, or else abandon the process and
accept another disk as a freshly mounted filesystem.

This is probably something that was utterly solved a long time
ago, but I have used DOS floppies so infrequently in recent years
that I've been looking the other way.

Cheers,
--
-x80