Re: tlug: kon probs.

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Florin Oprina wrote:

> Hi!I've got kon from the internet but i can't get it to work! I tried
> changing things in kon.cfg but all I get is a total system lock-up and
> garbage sent to my video card. No response from the keyboard, all i
> can do is cold reboot my machine, change settings in kon.cfg and try
> again...same result and so on and on and on !! Can anyone send me a
> copy of kon.cfg that's working for a S3 Virge card?

I played with kon in 1994.  I experienced similar problems with my
OTI-087[1] card.  I discovered that kon disregarded any settings in
kon.cfg, so I had to change the register values in the source.

I understand that the author of kon now works for PHT.  You might want to
try them ...

-- Chris

[1] Oak Technologies (the people[2] that were responsible for the OTI
    series of video chips) made some of the worst silicon in the history
    of history.  Sure, they had the first local bus video chipset ... but
    their QC was so bad that each individual chip was broken differently.
    Writing a working video driver for the '87 was lots of fun.

[2] I use the term "people" loosely in this case.