tlug: laptop

I have an old 486 Laptop with Win3.1 on a 170 MB HD and probably 8 MB RAM
with B&W LCD made by Magitronic.

Can I get any version of Linux on it?

I tried Debian, but could only get the basics (no X) going.  I tried to
load RH, but the 5.1 images seemed not to work...  YUCK!

I don't need advocacy, I need answers.  On this antique, do I have to go
to one of the smaller distributions, or should I go to slack?  Or, would
using a nullmodem network transferring them be quicker?

Also, for old laptops is there a list of things to check for before even
attempting.  Say, on old laptops such-and-such peripheral wont work with
linux...

TIA,

Eric S. Standlee
Kashihara City, Nara Prefecture, Japan