Re: tlug: English/Nihongo linux configuration recommendations

> If she's use to the graphicalness of Windows, she might like the Xemacs
> package from TL better than Pico (so now you can guess what my favorite editor
> is, too :-)   ).  I really find Xemacs to be nicely-featured and the Japanese
> support works quite well.

Since Prof. Turnbull appears to have a vested interest in making damned
sure that Xemacs does Japanese correctly, I'm sure Xemacs is quite
wonderful.  Unfortunately, my neural pathways have congealed to the
point that emacs is no longer an option.  Although I can hit the
control and alt keys with mechanical assistance [1] I'm not up to
teaching my wife a powerful editor quite yet.

Pico is more her (our) speed at the moment.

I'm a whiz at vi/vim but danged if I want to explain it to her.
Explaining a powerful editor I *don't* understand is not something I
want to undertake until I've got that postnup signed and notarized.

Of course, I can't *wait* to show her "M-X psychoanalyze-pinhead".

> The TL packages will be your fastest route again, probably.  The upcoming TL
> 3.0-J (due in December, I think) support TrueType, so you can grab the
> packages for that as well, or build your own.

So far tonight I've installed Wnn4/jserver, VFlib, Canna, kterm
(missing a source rpm apparently), kinput2, pine and the ryobi truetype
fonts all from TL source rpms ('cept kterm).  Nary a hitch.

Well done, Scott!

Alas, I'm now a clueless newbie.  I can figure out how to get canna to
work, and I can get kinput2 to let me input kana, but danged if I can
figure out how to get kinput2 to henkan to kanji.  What's the magic
keystroke?

I've started cannaserver, jserver, and kinput2.

In pico, if I do ctrl-space I get the little fence things and a hiragana
character at the bottom of the screen.  Any text I input is converted to
hiragana as I'd expect and when I hit a space it changes to kanji, and a
second space let's me choose from multiple kanji.  A return-key and I'm
able to enter the next keystrokes.  I believe this is normal canna
entry (at least this is what I've used before).

However, in kterm (or pico) if I enter shift-space I get a katakana
"ro--ma" in place on my screen.  Romaji I enter is converted to hiragana
(or shifted characters to katakana) as I'd expect.  But I'm danged if I
can figure how to convert to kanji!  What do I need to do?

<Timeout for head scratching and the umpteenth re-read>

Ack!  CONTROL-J!!  Eureka!  Thank you Craig!  I missed that bit in the
first read-through of Craig's doco.  I'm too tired and lazy to rewrite
this post.

In the immortal words of Ms. Emily Latella:  "Never Mind".

Regards,
--
Rex

[1] This old saw seems amazingly apropriate here:

    Crotchity old prospector:

	This here mule is the smartest danged animal ever to grace the
	face of this earth!

    Incredulous bystander:

	Whatever do you mean?

    Crotchity old prospector:

	Watch this!

	Mule!  What's twenty-one divided by Seven?

	<no response from mule>

	21 by 7!!  Dangit!  Twenty-one divided by seven!!!

	<Prospector grabs nearby 2x4 and swats animal upside the head>

    Incredulous bystander:

	What on earth was that for?!!  I thought you said the mule was
	smart?

    Crotchity old prospector:

	Well, first you have to get its attention ....

[2] So, okay.  I've an empty bottle in front of me (better than a
    frontal lobotomy, as the saying goes).  Cheap, b-a-a-d red wine (a
    fine Bordeaux from '97 -- December 31, 23:59:59 I believe) and humor
    don't mix.