Re: tlug: E-mail

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> 	pop-2   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  ipop2d
> 	#pop-3   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd ipop3d

> Notice that i commented out the previous reference to pop-3, even though it
> said largely the same thing. I'm not sure if i should be doing that, so
> tell me if it's wrong.

You should have both of these enabled.  POP2 and POP3 are different, and
people will usually be expecting POP3, although I believe all mail clients
extent will also support POP2 if they run across an ancient server that
doesn't speak POP3.

> what do i type if it's not already running? There isn't anything on that in
> the INSTALL file.

Try this:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/inet start

The converse of this can be used to shut down inetd:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/inet stop

Jonathan