RE: tlug: E-mail

I have never set up a pop server but I think I can help one one point here:
On 16-Nov-98 Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> The following happened:
>       # kill -HUP inetdpid
>       kill: No such pid inetdpid
> That makes sense to me, because i think when i removed dpop, i basically
> killed anything to do with pop servers anywhere on my machine.

inetd is not just for pop - try a "man inetd". What happened here is that you
should have put the actual number of the process id for inetd ie something like

       # kill -HUP 316

rather than inetdpid. You can find the actual pid either using

       # pidof inetd

or by using ps, eg.

       # ps ax | grep inetd

Then you can kill restart the inetd which will mean that your changes to the
conf files will have been read.

When try to
> telnet to port 110 (where people tell me the POP server listens) i get this:
>       #telnet localhost 110
>       Trying 127.0.0.1...
>       telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
> What i'm stuck on is that if "kill -HUP inetdpid" restarts the service,
> what do i type if it's not already running? There isn't anything on that in
> the INSTALL file.

inetd should be started at boot time. If it is not then I suspect that
ftp, telnet etc won't work. Since they do I assume that inetd is running on our
system.

David

E-Mail: David Dibben <dibben@example.com>